Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Rusted keel bolts
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2010 :  09:34:23  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jan Briede</i>
<br />...The yard told me that the keel was a bit wobbly. I am not yet sure what they mean, or if this is normal. Also what is the Catalina smile?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Wobble... Fin or swing? (You might want to add FK or SK to your signature.)

The "Catalina Smile" (not unique to Catalina) is generally an opening in the forward part of the keel-hull seam, particularly on cast iron fin keel boats. (The later encapsulated lead keels seem much more "serious.") My take is that it indicates some compression of the wood in the bottom of the keel "stub" that's part of the hull, and is possibly exacerbated by groundings. Tightening the keel bolts could help, but the cast iron fins use mild steel bolts and nuts that tend to rust and seize over the years. So the next solution is "sistering" some new (stainless steel) bolts by drilling and tapping the cast iron--not a trivial undertaking, but it's been done. The principle concern, I'd say, is that water can get through the "smile" and might reach the keel bolts, speeding their corrosion and possibly seeping into the bilge.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 05/21/2010 09:35:47
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2010 :  10:43:18  Show Profile
Thanks Dave. I went to look at the boat, and actually there are no cracks between the keel and the hill. A friend of mine who manages a boat repair shop went with me and told me it looks great, no blistering what so ever. So I feel better. Just a fair amount of barnacles. The keels seems to be coated with a thick layer of something. Where it peals off you can see some rust. Surprise ... a saltwater boat. But I feel much better, thanks!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 05/21/2010 :  20:44:12  Show Profile
My bet is it's a swing keel and the pivot pin has wallowed out the hole. Not that big an issue to repair from what I hear.

Edited by - GaryB on 05/21/2010 20:45:09
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2010 :  14:09:54  Show Profile
Well, I spent the day cleaning the bottom and taking barnacles off. Had a good look at the keel (fixed) and yes there is a smile :( Then the question becomes:
(a) I assume I need to close the smile somehow and close it with fiberglass and epoxy? Before I do that should I treat the exposed metal, and I assume I need to cut the existing fiberglass back to an area where it is more solid. Also can I do that before new keel bolts or do I need to do this after?
(b) The new keel bolts, how urgent is it and should I install those with the boat on blocks or when it it floating? There was no noticeable leakage into the bilge when she was in the water.
I guess those are the perils of receiving a free boat. I've got it now for about a month, and expected that it would take some work.
In advance, thanks everyone for reading this and sharing your experience. I'll try to post some photos.
Jan

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jan Briede
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
162 Posts

Response Posted - 05/22/2010 :  14:44:26  Show Profile
OK here we go:

Jan

Edited by - Jan Briede on 05/22/2010 15:06:55
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 01/20/2011 :  06:27:11  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JimB517</i>
<br />I had 6 new, 3/4 inch, 6 inch long stainless steel bolts inserted in the keel.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Can you please post the positions of the new bolts?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tbosch
Navigator

Members Avatar

163 Posts

Response Posted - 01/21/2011 :  14:11:14  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jan Briede</i>
<br />OK here we go:

Jan

Jan,

I think that is a "smile". The photos below are of my 1980 C25 fin.

Before:

After removing loose material:

Cleaned of loose material to bare metal. Packed crack with thickened epoxy and sealed all with "neat" epoxy:

Re-faired and sealed with 3 coats of neat epoxy:

After:

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tomas Kruska
Admiral

Members Avatar

Czech Republic
522 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2011 :  12:01:31  Show Profile  Visit Tomas Kruska's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tbosch</i>
The photos below are of my 1980 C25 fin.

How did you managed the keel bolts?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tbosch
Navigator

Members Avatar

163 Posts

Response Posted - 01/22/2011 :  14:28:39  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tomas Kruska</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tbosch</i>
The photos below are of my 1980 C25 fin.

How did you managed the keel bolts?

I didn't sister in new keel bolts. I was responding to a post about Jan's picture that thought his keel was cracked and not a "smile". I don't see that post anymore. My post probably looks out of place now...

Oh well... My fin didn't seem loose and the nuts and bolts were rusty but solid and I didn't even try to turn them. I coated them with a paint that is meant seal rusty metal. After 1 season in the water the smile didn't come back so that is a good sign! I expect it will come back some day, though. That's just the nature of a bolted on keel.

I don't plan to sister in new keel bolts. If your keel is loose or your existing bolts are so rusted that their strength is compromised then I would consider it. Otherwise I'm not sure that it's necessary. Others have observed on this forum that they've never heard of a fin falling off. If it isn't loose and you can keep the bolts from rusting away the keel probably isn't going anywhere.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page