Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Fortress Anchor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  19:37:23  Show Profile
For a dinner stop on the lake and a mostly mud bottom under the boat, as long as it's not blowing too hard, an 8 lb danforth-style anchor with 10 ft of chain should be sufficient to hold you.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  18:43:40  Show Profile
Randy,
I took the anchor mentioned above out to our boat today and it fits in the anchor locker. More importantly, for your purposes, the anchor already on our boat, which has served us well for several years of anchoring in a lake cove (mud bottom) for swimming and a meal as well as raft-ups with other boats, is a danforth-style, about 8 lbs, labeled for a 20-24 ft. boat when used with at least 10 ft. of 1/4" chain and 3/8" rode. Go for it, they are not too heavy and hold well in mud.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/13/2011 :  19:20:38  Show Profile
Thanks David!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/14/2011 :  16:49:54  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br />...My post was about what anchor to use on our lake which is 20' deep at the deepest and has a smooth mud bottom throughout. It is a reservoir...and I don't want to be pulling all that stuff up when we <b>anchor for a hour to cook dinner on the lake</b>...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><b>An iron frying pan on 50' of clothes line will probably do.</b>
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

LMAO RAOTF! I anchor next to people just like that! I recently had to report a vessel to the coasties that had dragged into a bridge, swag lamp chain - yeah, I'm almost that old - and the tiniest hook I have ever seen. Your anchor is an extension of your boat and your penis for that matter. Make it a big one, and if it ain't, add a few feet of chain.

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/15/2011 :  08:09:45  Show Profile
This is what I was referring to, the SF-8 anchor package, on my boat now, but I didn't pay anywhere near that much for it, maybe $75-85 (almost 4 years ago):

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=442502&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10105&subdeptNum=10401&classNum=10402

Since I found that the larger anchor will fit in the locker, I think I'm going to put the smaller one in the dungeon for a stern anchor as well as for the uses we've discussed above. The big one will then be available for heavy wind anchoring.

Edited by - dmpilc on 02/15/2011 08:24:15
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page