Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 single line reefing quick quesition to help newbee
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

britinusa
Web Editor

Members Avatar

USA
5404 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2011 :  04:55:58  Show Profile  Visit britinusa's Homepage
Thanks for bumping this one Rick.
Randy, great article and looks to be just what the Admiral ordered

Paul

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 06/04/2011 :  09:44:24  Show Profile
Timely post. I'm adding a 3rd rope clutch starboard and going to a double line reef, a line for the tack and one for the clew, the single line just doesn't work for me. Also adding a double rope clutch port to rig a second reef.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

TakeFive
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2269 Posts

Response Posted - 06/15/2011 :  12:03:12  Show Profile
I finally got a pic of the 2nd reef that I hooked up. You can see it going up and down to the clew block (though the block is not pictured), around the cheek block, through another block shackled to the top of the boom vang, through another block shackled to the original reef cleat (unused because of single-line reefing), up through the tack cringle, then down the port side of the sail to a deck organizer. For now I've used plain nylon braid, since I am not to concerned about stretch in this application.

I have not used the 2nd reef yet, nor do I intend to on a regular basis. It's pretty much a redundant system in case of extreme weather. But, equally important, it hasn't interfered with normal operation under full sail or first reef so far. Please excuse the lousy sail shape in this pic - I fixed it afterwards:

<center></center>

Using single line reefing for both reefs has allowed me to fit within the three clutch/organizers that I currently have - two on starboard side for first reef and main halyard, one on port side for 2nd reef.

Edited by - TakeFive on 06/15/2011 12:07:25
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page