Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 V berth bliss
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jefffriday
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Initially Posted - 08/03/2012 :  10:11:52  Show Profile
Well, I finally cut my front bulkhead and hinged it down over the head so I can stretch out, fantastic, at 6'2" I could never get comfortable

Note all the new LED lighting, new rug, table, etc.etc.

infinity
89 wk/sr #5860
Basalt CO.

Edited by - Jefffriday on 08/03/2012 10:17:38

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2012 :  10:17:33  Show Profile
The extra space looks nice. I'm 3" shorter and just fit into the V-berth, I could see wanting the extra room if I were taller.

My only question is has this degraded the structure of the boat?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jefffriday
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2012 :  10:19:14  Show Profile
Front bulkhead is cosmetic only, not so with the aft... Also makes getting in and out ridiculously easy, even with company :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

glivs
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
822 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2012 :  17:34:41  Show Profile
Well done...mods look great. Can you give some details on your table...e.g., materials, mounting to bulkhead. Thanks.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

pastmember
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

2402 Posts

Response Posted - 08/03/2012 :  20:40:33  Show Profile
Well done indeed. Vision and execution, really terrific.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

sfsmith
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
120 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2012 :  07:04:12  Show Profile
Ingenious. I had the structural concern, too, but it sounds like you've worked that out. Nice job.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stu Jackson C34
Admiral

Members Avatar

844 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2012 :  09:44:27  Show Profile
Nice guitar, too.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Deborah
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
36 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2012 :  10:45:57  Show Profile
What a great idea! Very cool!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/04/2012 :  18:07:52  Show Profile
Looks great Jeff!

What kind of LED lighting did you use behind the teak strip above the curtains.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2012 :  08:51:50  Show Profile
When you cut the rug to fit, what did you do to the trimmed edges? How did you finish them?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Jefffriday
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
198 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2012 :  18:41:04  Show Profile
the LED's are stip lights from amazon, (http://www.amazon.com/Filite-Flexible-Waterproof-3000-3100K-Celebration/dp/B004EXMSUY/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1344216182&sr=8-14&keywords=12v+led+strip+lighting ) about 20 bucks for 16 ft you can cut it and solder on again, adhesive on the back, I just stuck it on the inside edge of the trim pieces, also got a dimmer (PWM Dimming Controller For LED Lights or Ribbon, 12 Volt 8 Amp, 3301 ) from them for 5 bucks works nicely, a 12V MR16 LED bulb (
Lightkiwi Mr16/GU5.3 Dimmable LED Light Bulb 12v Warm White 2900K 40watt Equiv.
by LIGHTKIWI ) in the brass fixture, (also in the deck light on the mast) I just soldered right onto the prongs on the bulb in both installations. The table is a longer story, but I am very happy with it. I just unlatch it and it drops down into position. I usually don't even unfold the other half. I should get some better photo's of the fit and operation....sometime. For the rug (200$ deliver off ebay) I made a paper template (many pieces and masking tape) and cut the rug with razor knife, Instabind (google it) for the binding (hot melt glue gun, I got good at the end.... not so much in the beginning)the pattern hides everything :)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

GaryB
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4275 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2012 :  19:05:36  Show Profile
Thanks Jeff.

Do you guys that sleep in the v-berth sleep with you head at the front or at the bulkhead?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 08/05/2012 :  22:52:58  Show Profile
How did you determine the forward bulkhead wasn't structural?

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Joe Diver
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1218 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  08:19:42  Show Profile
Thanks for the Instabind info....One of my upcoming (when cooler weather arrives) projects is new carpet for the cabin.

I sleep in the V-Berth....head at bulkhead and feet at the bow.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

awetmore
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1144 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  09:02:39  Show Profile
Head at the bulkhead is the only reasonable way to fit two adults into the V-berth, plus it would be hard to get out of the V-berth without banging your head if you slept head at the bow.

redviking: I had the same question and searched the archives. It looks like most people consider it to be non-structural because there aren't chainplates attached to it. All that it really could do is reinforce the hull in that area, and it is already probably stronger (based on shape) than the big unsupported section in the main cabin, so I think that is a reasonable conclusion. We both fit in the V-berth though, so I think I'll leave my bulkheads alone.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  09:34:34  Show Profile
That is a really nice lookin boat.. Great Job and what a cool idea...

Thanks for sharing.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 08/06/2012 :  21:39:41  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by awetmore</i>
<br />Head at the bulkhead is the only reasonable way to fit two adults into the V-berth, plus it would be hard to get out of the V-berth without banging your head if you slept head at the bow.

redviking: I had the same question and searched the archives. It looks like <b>most people </b> consider it to be non-structural because there aren't chainplates attached to it. All that it really could do is reinforce the hull in that area, and it is already probably stronger (based on shape) than the big unsupported section in the main cabin, so I think that is a reasonable conclusion. We both fit in the V-berth though, so I think I'll leave my bulkheads alone.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Hmmm... Most people aren't Maritime Engineers. I was also thinking about the deck...

sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

NautiC25
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
957 Posts

Response Posted - 08/07/2012 :  04:10:50  Show Profile
The deck of the boat is rediculously thick and strong. I'd be surprised if either bulkheads were structural, other than the compression post. However, I'd never cut into either, for resale value. lol

Edited by - NautiC25 on 08/07/2012 04:11:06
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page