Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 Drifter/Reacher trial
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mday
Navigator

Member Avatar

197 Posts

Initially Posted - 02/23/2004 :  23:00:31  Show Profile

The Saturday before last was a light air day on Lake Pleasant -- just right for the first test of the Ullman drifter/reacher that's been moldering away in it's sailbag for several months.

I was impressed! Other boats on the lake weren't moving at all, but the drifter was catching enough of the light breeze to move my C250 WB along at a lazy 1.5 knots. As the afternoon breeze picked up slightly, we picked up good downwind speed adding another knot and the sail filled nicely.

Since this was my first time, there were awkward moments figuring out how to use it, but it was easy enough that there were no disasters (like loosing it overboard or putting a big rip in it). It gybed very nicely. Anything more into the wind than a reach didn't work too well -- it even seemed to me that it was slowing us down or pushing us sideways. An attempt to tack resulted in a big tangle on the foredeck and never making it about. Getting it down wasn't too bad, but I decided to shove it all down the main hatch and went below with the sailbag.

I'm looking forward to another day that I can fly it!

Edited by - on

Oscar
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2030 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2004 :  07:40:10  Show Profile  Visit Oscar's Homepage
I love mine too. I've had days on the Bay with little or no wind and I was doing circles (literally) around an S2023 and a C-22.

I use the same dousing method, and just stuff the thing in the bag. There is no point in trying to fold it nicely.

As far as close reaching, if you make sure the luff is tight it will work. I have attached a line to the tack, led aft through a block on the stemhead, to a cleat so I can adjust on the fly. Just get the boat moving first so the apparent goes forward, and then nickel and dime your way up.....

Oscar
250WB#618 Lady Kay on the Chesapeake

Edited by - Oscar on 02/24/2004 07:43:16
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2004 :  07:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
Managing the drifter like most things takes some practice and deliberation. To facilitate dealing with it single handed, it seemed the sailbag had to get parked and ready to receive or deploy the sail without need to hold the bag.

Handing the sail is easiest for me in the lee of the main. I always go off wind on a broad starboard reach and hand the sail on the port side because thats where the jib halyard is and where I located the sail bag.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

osmepneo
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
1420 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2004 :  16:27:44  Show Profile
How does a drifter measure for a spinniker in Nationals? Is it a spinniker or Jenny?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Oscar
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2030 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2004 :  18:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Oscar's Homepage
I don't believe the rating guru's have put a number on it, a spinnaker, or a genny for the 250 yet.....

Oscar

Lady Kay 250 WB #618
Sunrise on the Neuse River...

Edited by - Oscar on 02/24/2004 18:27:12
Go to Top of Page

Arlyn Stewart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2980 Posts

Response Posted - 02/24/2004 :  19:20:00  Show Profile  Visit Arlyn Stewart's Homepage
In my opinion the drifter is most like a genneker. While not sure, I'm thinking that means more like a genny than an asymmetric. Current rules don't allow more than a 135 headsail unless the boat was shipped with a 150 (proof required)and then it is required I think to give time.

Last year it was reported that a water ballast was using a 150... if so, that would have been a rules violation in two ways.

1. the headsail
2. a modification of track location

My comment in no way suggest that the race committee should have disallowed the boat last summer... I'm not second guessing their business.

I got into a hornet's nest during the Salt Lake Nationals. Following the Nationals, the Commodore told me to inform the race committee that because they had allowed non association member skippers, that the results were somewhat unofficial. I did... and got a lot of heat for passing the information. Not going there again.

And, I'm not saying that the heat wasn't justified... Salt Lake was the only group who made an offering and they had asked for a waiver to allow sharing of the helm. The problem I think with the Commodore was that we expected the racers to become association members and he felt/knew that some of the skippers weren't. Just getting bodies to the Nationals is such a problem... that the rules are of far less importance.

My dad said often...thats water long passed under the bridge...

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

osmepneo
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
1420 Posts

Response Posted - 02/25/2004 :  09:35:30  Show Profile
If the asym (or what ever) doesn't hank onto the forestay is it a Jenny or spinniker? Someone once said that was the difference. ThenI wonder if a 25 Asym would meet the requirements of 250 spinniker? If the 250's decide to use spinnikers?

Probably ought to bring this up in the general forum?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page