Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 25 Specific Forum
 Mast slot cover plate
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

treuland
Deckhand

Member Avatar

USA
17 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:07:57  Show Profile
Does anyone have the dimensions for a plate to cover the open part of the mast sail slot to retain the slugs? My boat is in storage so can't get to it easily to properly design it. Thanks, Terry

Edited by - on

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Virgin Islands (United Kingdom)
7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  10:23:52  Show Profile
Terry,

Although I made my own gates, you can buy them from Joe Martek who is listed at the bottom of the Links page on this website. I believe his are made from stainless steel and I think they were fairly inexpensive.

I'm not positive, but I think I remember hearing that these same ones are available through CD...?

Edited by - dlucier on 03/08/2006 10:25:52
Go to Top of Page

Champipple
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
6855 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  11:00:36  Show Profile  Visit Champipple's Homepage
I am not certain either Don, but I think Catalina Direct has purchased the rights to those from Joe...I thought I heard that. Catalina directs are just as good.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Brian King
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
73 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  11:02:47  Show Profile
My '89 has a cutout on one side of the groove only. I believe I emailed Joe at some point, but he only sells pairs. Does anyone know where I can get a cover plate to fit an '89?

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  12:26:08  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Duane Wolff</i>
<br />I am not certain either Don, but I think Catalina Direct has purchased the rights to those from Joe...I thought I heard that. Catalina directs are just as good.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ask Catalina Direct about that, and then just buy a pair and keep the extra one for when the first becomes an offering to King Neptune.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  12:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
The 89 uses a diferent gate, I will post a good phot of it tonight if I can remember to take the photo.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

aeckhart
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1709 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  13:25:05  Show Profile  Visit aeckhart's Homepage
I talked to Joe last season. He sold the rights to the gates to CD.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  13:42:35  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by aeckhart</i>
<br />I talked to Joe last season. He sold the rights to the gates to CD.

I thought I remembered something to that effect...thanks for clearing it up.

Maybe we need to remove Joe's name and email address from the links page...

Edited by - dlucier on 03/08/2006 13:43:17
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  14:38:53  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
mea culpa, I am the one who told Lowell about the mast gates and gave him Joe's contact information. To CD's credit they have created a kit with the bit and tap needed for the install.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

IndyJim
Navigator

Members Avatar

USA
130 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  17:11:04  Show Profile
A couple of years ago I read a thread on here about mast gates. I wondered what the heck they were and why I would need them. Then I bought some from Joe Martek. And you're correct. His are stainless. Within a week I wondered how I lived without them for so long! I too believe that Joe sold the rights to CD. If you don't have mast gates, the price is very reasonable and the benefits are great!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 03/08/2006 :  18:22:13  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by fhopper@mac.com</i>
<br />mea culpa, I am the one who told Lowell about the mast gates and gave him Joe's contact information. To CD's credit they have created a kit with the bit and tap needed for the install.
I suspect Joe is still making them, and let CD do the marketing and distribution. CD doesn't really make stuff... except "kits". Adding the bit and tap are a nice touch--I had to go out and buy a tap. (You DON'T want to attach them with self-tapping screws--it's not appropriate for something you want to install and remove periodically.)

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

tinob
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1883 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2006 :  11:52:26  Show Profile
For the do it yourselfer Bill Holcomb has descriptions of homemade mast gates using aluminum carpet edging. Quite simple he attests. Search the archives if interested.

Val on the hard DAGNABIT # 3936 Patchogue, N.Y.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave Bristle
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
10005 Posts

Response Posted - 03/09/2006 :  12:38:16  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tinob</i>
<br />For the do it yourselfer Bill Holcomb has descriptions of homemade mast gates using aluminum carpet edging. Quite simple he attests. Search the archives if interested.
He's handier than I am--I tried doing my own with similar aluminum and with stainless... Never got them to work very well.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2006 :  10:09:59  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bristle</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tinob</i>
<br />For the do it yourselfer Bill Holcomb has descriptions of homemade mast gates using aluminum carpet edging...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
He's handier than I am--I tried doing my own with similar aluminum and with stainless... Never got them to work very well.

My homemade gates, made from aluminum carpet edging, are going on 5 years now.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

wmuchmore
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
56 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2006 :  21:38:12  Show Profile
I got a set of mastgates from Catalina Direct last September. Cost $38.95. CD's part number is E9017. Description given is:
"Mastgater C-25 Sail Track Gate. Fits mast track sail entrance slot and allows sails slides to slide past. Installed with two 10-24 machine screws. Can be easily removed to remove sail from mast. Set of 2 for C-25 includes drill and tap for easy installation."
What they don't say until you read the installation instructions is that there may some filing and grinding needed to fit them to your mast. Apparently the slots vary in size from mast to mast. I haven't gotten around to putting mine on yet, because I made a set from carpet trim years ago that work fine. So don't know how much actual cutting and fitting is necessary. Actually, if I knew it was going to be a cut & fit project (stainless is tough to work with) I wouldn't have bought the ones from CD.

Mike Muchmore
2038 "Calamity Jane" TR/FK

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Buzz Maring
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1762 Posts

Response Posted - 03/10/2006 :  21:51:28  Show Profile
<font color="blue">... What they don't say until you read the installation instructions is that there may some filing and grinding needed to fit them to your mast. Apparently the slots vary in size from mast to mast. I haven't gotten around to putting mine on yet, because I made a set from carpet trim years ago that work fine. So don't know how much actual cutting and fitting is necessary. Actually, if I knew it was going to be a cut & fit project (stainless is tough to work with) I wouldn't have bought the ones from CD. - Mike</font id="blue">

It's been a while since I installed the mast gates on my boat, but as I recall, the filing is done to the slot in the mast (not the stainless mast gates) ... it really isn't a difficult project.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

jwilliams
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
357 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2006 :  00:34:33  Show Profile
I made mine from carpet edging. For me the trick was to put a slight bend or two so the flat edging would fit the curve of the mast. I did it with a vice and rubber mallet.

The first pair did not fit properly, so I made another pair. I did the final filing at the boat. Good thing about the carpet edging is you get a long piece really cheap.

I did use self-tapping screws, but put Never-seize on them every time I take the screws out. Five years and no problems...I do have to touch them up occasionally with the file or tap them with my small ball-peen to restore the shape after an especially rough reefing day.

Jim williams
Hey Jude C25fk 2958
SF Bay

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2006 :  08:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by wmuchmore</i>
<br /> Actually, if I knew it was going to be a cut & fit project (stainless is tough to work with) I wouldn't have bought the ones from CD.

Mike Muchmore
2038 "Calamity Jane" TR/FK

When you see a set installed you will be impressed. I put some on my 82 and they did not require any filing at all. They don't just cover the hole, leaving the hole behind them to hassle slugs, they fill in the hole making the kerf smooth and continuous. They really are very impressive.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dlucier
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

7583 Posts

Response Posted - 03/11/2006 :  09:48:13  Show Profile
A Joe Martek mast gate on a C250...

Photo courtesy of Bryan Beamer

Edited by - dlucier on 03/11/2006 09:48:42
Go to Top of Page

DanM
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
256 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2006 :  08:15:04  Show Profile  Visit DanM's Homepage
The plates do offer more movement of your sail (downhaul, etc.). But if you would rather not drill holes and it's just that you don't want the sail slugs dropping out, try a track stop. WM#108332/Davis # 2350
$8.99, page 891.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Frank Hopper
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

Pitcairn Island
6776 Posts

Response Posted - 03/13/2006 :  08:36:11  Show Profile  Visit Frank Hopper's Homepage
The gates are needed for a clean reef. Stops keep the slugs too high.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page