Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New winches and first solo sail
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TEM58
Navigator

Member Avatar

USA
113 Posts

Initially Posted - 03/29/2016 :  08:17:38  Show Profile
I knew when we bought the 250 that I would be setting it up to sail single-handed, just as I had the C-25. My wife loves sailing, but I have many more opportunities to go out than she does. I was patiently browsing ebay over the last several weeks looking for a deal on some winches to mount on the coamings, but hadn't found anything to suit. When the WM bogo deal came up a couple of weeks ago, I jumped on a pair of 15ST. I was leaning toward the 16ST, but price and the 7yr warranty on the EVO winches swayed me. Got the winches installed yesterday and made the maiden voyage solo. It was perfect! Light winds helped me work out my techniques, but I was very happy with how well everything worked.

Only one glitch during installation but I was able to compensate. I installed the starboard winch first, putting it as far forward as possible over the coaming box in order for the winch handle to clear the bimini frame. Used the identical measurements to install the port winch, only to find that the hull liner inside the boxes have a slightly different shape. One of the mounting bolts inside the port box was too close to the liner to allow clearance for the nut. Had to cut a small portion of the liner away to get everything to fit, but it worked out fine. Didn't actually put a hole in the liner, just ground out a small amount. I took some pics inside the boxes, but they did not turn out very well. I'll try again another day.

I was a little concerned about the entry angle to the winches, but I went through at least 15 tacks with no issues. The only change I made afterward was to slight raise the fairlead on the upper stanchions so the sheet didn't chafe.

Tim M
“Perfect Match II”
2003 C350 #35
Cruising FL
PO "Wine Down"
2000 C250 WK #453
PO "Perfect Match"
1983 C25 SR/SK #3932
Lake Belton
Belton, TX

Tradewind
Admiral

Members Avatar

USA
531 Posts

Response Posted - 03/30/2016 :  06:07:59  Show Profile
Nice! My 250 came with winches installed there, can't imagine sailing the 250 without them. I'd post a pic if I was more computer literate.

1998 250WK #331
CILCIA
Steve
Pensacola, FL
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page