Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 General Sailing Forum
 Fortress Anchor
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Member Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Initially Posted - 06/13/2010 :  09:25:28  Show Profile
I'm looking to get a new all-purpose anchor for our boat. We have a 16lb Bruce that we use in the San Juans for cruising but that beast is too much for our lake (and my back ) for typical use. Right now we have a "toy" anchor - one of the ones coated in bright blue vinyl that the PO supplied. Ive been looking around and am impressed by the Fortress aluminum anchors. They are very light for their holding power.

The model sized for a 25' boat is the FX-7 and it weighs just 4lbs. Fortress says this is the right size for boats up to 27' and that the sizing is based on "boats of average windage and proportions in 30 knots of wind, average bottom conditions, and moderate protection from open seas." That would seem to suit my needs just fine but I can't get over how light the anchor is. I know it is the design and not the weight but I'm still curious.

The FX-7 would fit easily in the anchor locker. The next size up (the FX-11) would not and would need to hang on a pulpit mount.

So, has anyone used one of the Fortress anchors and found that they meet the claims? Any other comments or advice?

We cannot direct the winds but we can adjust our sails.

Edited by - on

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  10:16:29  Show Profile
Randy, I have the FX-7 and I love it. I have it on 25' of chain. It grabs quickly and comes up easily. The weight of the anchor does not inspire confidence, but as I'm sure you know, it's not really the weight of the anchor that's doing the holding anyway. The only negative I can think of is that it really traps mud between the fingers, and even motoring while dragging it will not clean it. A small matter.
Count us as a satisfied customer.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  10:45:04  Show Profile
Fortress is consistently among the top performers in independent tests--you won't likely go wrong unless you have very unusual bottom conditions. I have one as a secondary--haven't used it yet. (The Delta on the windlass is too easy!) I store the Fortress with a tennis ball on each end of the stock and a plastic tennis ball can on the shank. They advertise it as collapsible for storage, but it takes some fiddling that I wouldn't want to have to do if I needed the anchor in a hurry.

As you suspect, the weight of the anchor is not much of a factor--it's more the weight of the chain that keeps the shank down so the anchor digs in and stays in. 25' of 1/4" is about 16-20 lbs. Go light on the anchor but heavy on the chain.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/13/2010 10:49:38
Go to Top of Page

wegman
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
35 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  12:02:50  Show Profile  Visit wegman's Homepage
Randy,

I have sailed in the San Juan islands of Puget Sound, and I would not recommend the Fortress. In Puget Sound there is a lot of weed on the bottom, and the Fortress aluminum anchor does not have the weight necessary to penetrate weed. Also, an anchor with a weighted point, such as the Delta (my favorite) or the CQR is a better choice for general anchoring in Puget Sound.

On one occasion, anchoring in Jones Island (if I remember correctly) a 40 foot classic yacht anchored next to me. It was a traditional design - I can not be sure, something like a Shannon. All the teak was immaculately varnished, it was absolutely beautiful. But next morning when I awoke the crew was untangling a line from the outboard of my Ericson 27. The classic yacht had dragged its anchor, even though the wind had not been high that night. I asked what anchor they had used, and was told it was a Fortress.

In my experience, the key to easy anchor deployment/retrieval is a good bow roller. Fifteen years ago I regularly deployed a 35 # Delta from the bow of my Freedom 32, with a sturdy bow roller but no windlass. I am older now (66) but deploying a 22 # Delta will be no trouble, so long as a sturdy bow roller is used. And when I sail in the San Juans again - on the C25 that I am still looking for - I will have a 22# Delta on the bow, with 50 feet of chain backed by 200 feet of nylon.

Anchors and anchoring is a lively topic, and I am sure others will disagree. I think it was Don Street who wrote that the correct size anchor is the largest one you can handle. I incline to that view.

A major concern is the bottom type. If it is sand or mud, then the Danforth types works well. On lakes I would use a steel Danforth of about 15 #. But for the weeds and rocks of Puget Sound, I recommend a plow type of 20 - 25 #. Proper scope is equally important - but I will leave that topic for another day.

An oversize anchor will help you to sleep well.

Best,

Jerry

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

JimB517
Past Commodore

Members Avatar

USA
3285 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  12:45:58  Show Profile  Visit JimB517's Homepage
I would never go with a 7 lb aluminum anchor. Racers use the Fortress to meet the requirements of carrying a 2nd anchor. I would o nly use it for that - not anchoring.

I use a 13 lb danforth on 50 feet of 5/16 chain + 200 feet of 1/2 inch nylon. I carry 2 of these, plus a 3rd 8 lb danforth to use as a stern anchor. The 8 was on 5 feet of chain and 150 feet of 3/8 nylon. It would not hold very well. I upgraded it to 25 feet of 1/4 chain. Much better. This is just to prevent swinging, however.

Most people recommend a 15 to 20 lb anchor for the C25. I use a lot of chain but anchor often in small anchorages (short scope).

The Fortress has a reputation of skipping over the bottom if motoring too fast during set or in a strong current.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  13:44:43  Show Profile
I can only summarize what I've read in Practical Sailor and a few other sources: The <b><i>10 lb.</i> Fortress FX-16</b> has consistently and substantially outperformed the <b><i>25 lb.</i> steel Danforth</b> in varied and objective tests, particularly in the more difficult function of re-setting when the pull changes by 90 or 180 degrees (and the boat isn't backing down to help set the anchor). It also outperforms the Danforth in holding power. I wouldn't have a hard time believing a smaller Fortress would compare as well against a similar-sized and heavier Danforth. Fortress also performs well compared to a heavier Delta and much better than a heavier CQR. Those aren't my opinions--they're side-by-side test results testing set, hold, drag, and reset. The new "roll-bar" designs like Rocna and Manson tend to beat the Fortress, but take a lot of space (or require a roller as a home). And they're very expensive.

Of course, the type of bottom is important... Grass, mud, sand, rock--they're all different and most anchors work best only in two or three of them. The Fortress has two angle settings, one for hard and the other for soft bottoms. Read up about how different types of anchors fare on different bottoms, and talk to people with experience in the areas where you expect drop the hook. But remember that many people's opinions are slanted toward what they've chosen, regardless of what objective comparisons have shown.

And remember, you still want at least some 15-20 lbs. of chain, regardless of how light the anchor is.

Now, when are we gonna hear from Anchor-Sten??

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 06/13/2010 14:01:07
Go to Top of Page

windsong
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
318 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  14:17:40  Show Profile
I've only tested mine on mud and sand. Very impressive on those bottoms.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

delliottg
Former Mainsheet C250 Tech Editor

Members Avatar

USA
4479 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  15:57:50  Show Profile  Visit delliottg's Homepage
Randy,
We've got a 22lb claw, a 15lb danforth type, and now an FX-11( I think). I found it on Craigslist a while back, and have never had occasion to use it. In fact, it's sitting in my garage right now. I've read tons of reviews, and I hope to give it a shot this summer. I don't have a rode made up for it, and the stock is too long to fit in the anchor locker, unless I cut off about 2", which I'm hesitant to do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  20:28:50  Show Profile
David, I also looked at the FX-11 and yes the stock is about 1" too long. My anchor locker is 21" wide and the FX-11 stock is 22". I wonder is trimming 1/2" of each end would really make a difference. On the other hand these anchors seem to be well engineered so that inch might make a difference!

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 06/13/2010 :  20:52:11  Show Profile
The rest of a Practical Sailor test got better holding power by not changing the angle of the flukes, they bent the anchor, and the light anchor did not penetrate difficult bottoms and weeds - weight does count. Chain improves the angle of pull on a set anchor, but no amount of chain will improve an anchor's ability to penetrate. I love my Danforth in Lake Erie's mud/sand/ gravel and Gulf coast sand, but I would side with wegman for your area. As always, see what is most common in your area and what skippers would buy next time.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

DaveR
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
2015 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2010 :  05:55:05  Show Profile  Visit DaveR's Homepage
I really would like to have a delta type anchor that slides off the bow roller easy and sticks in sand and mud real well. I have a fortress I use on my 14 ft power boat but would like a heavier anchor with more grabbing power for the 25. A couple of years ago somebody posted a link to a demonstration of different types and how well they stuck in different situations and that's where I decided I liked the delta style.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2010 :  06:09:48  Show Profile
Nauti, What kind bottom and depths do you have at the Lake? I could not get charts for your bottom, but it looks like a big open lake without many coves for protection other than a lee shore.

I'd guess you get pretty good winds being that close to the Pacific.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2010 :  07:22:04  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redeye</i>
<br />Nauti, What kind bottom and depths do you have at the Lake? I could not get charts for your bottom, but it looks like a big open lake without many coves for protection other than a lee shore.

I'd guess you get pretty good winds being that close to the Pacific.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Mud bottom, no grass or rocks, with max depths of about 22'. Yes, we get good winds primarily from the North and West. I think the Fortress will be a good choice for our bottom and we'll use the heavier Bruce in the San Juans.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 06/14/2010 07:22:51
Go to Top of Page

redeye
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

3474 Posts

Response Posted - 06/14/2010 :  07:34:50  Show Profile
Well.. that sounds pretty easy. Sounds like you could get away with the smaller anchor and lots of rode.

I like using 2 smaller anchors myself, but I'm inland and in relatively calm weather.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

booyacht
1st Mate

Members Avatar

53 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2011 :  14:20:48  Show Profile
Randy, did you end up getting the fortress and if so do you like it?

A friend recommended a Digger to me today, but I've not ever known someone to actually use one.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2011 :  16:21:34  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by booyacht</i>
<br />A friend recommended a Digger to me today, but I've not ever known someone to actually use one.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">I just looked at the [url="http://www.diggeranchor.com/index.html"]Digger site[/url]... "No chain needed!" "Just a jerk on the rope when pulling up anchor will drop flukes." <i>Are you kidding me??</i> I guess its primary feature is that it releases easily.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2011 :  16:32:58  Show Profile
Randy, I've got an anchor in my garage that I bought from the diver guy who cleans boat bottoms at our lake and dives for lost anchors. It is used but in excellent condition. It's a danforth type anchor, stamped on the side " 13 U S Anchor" and weighs 13.6 lbs. using the bathroom scale. Standing upright on the floor , it is 27" tall and the side to side bar is 21". I haven't even taken it to the boat yet to see if it would fit in the anchor locker, but I can do it this weekend if you are interested. If you want it, the price is $30 plus shipping. No chain or rode. Package weight should be about 15-16 lbs.
I'll try to post a pic in a few minutes.

Edited by - dmpilc on 02/10/2011 16:33:42
Go to Top of Page

Dave5041
Former Mainsheet Editor

Members Avatar

USA
3754 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2011 :  18:37:10  Show Profile
I would research it first, P/S found a LOT of variability in performance of Danforth style anchors when the went beyond Danforth and Fortress.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2011 :  18:49:44  Show Profile
David, I did not get the anchor yet. Thanks for the offer but the attraction of the FX-7 was its light weight. I already have a 15lb Bruce. For nights out on the lake I think the FX-7 will be very adequate and my aging back wants the lighter weight.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 02/10/2011 18:50:54
Go to Top of Page

dmpilc
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
4593 Posts

Response Posted - 02/10/2011 :  20:05:22  Show Profile
Okay, good luck with your search.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

redviking
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1771 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  06:38:35  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkpotter</i>
<br />

Now, when are we gonna hear from Anchor-Sten??
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

I must have been cruising when this thread came thru. The Fortress is govt and LEO standard issue on patrol vessels. Many cruisers carry them as a backup, but most admit to never having the Fortress deployed. That's cuz all of that chain attached to a CQR is pretty darn effective.

Buy the best ground tackle you can. You may not be able to show it off like the new motor or gps, but its as important as your sails.

Sten

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  07:52:11  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by redviking</i><br />Many cruisers carry them as a backup, but most admit to never having the Fortress deployed.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">...and I'm one. An "oversized" 22# Delta is on my bow roller, and an FX-7 is in a cockpit locker--never been wet. (Sorry, Randy.) If the Fortress were my primary, it'd be an "oversized" FX-11, which is only 7#--still not much weight. (My current boat has considerably more windage than my C-25 had.) My Fortress is "virgin" partly because the Delta is on a windlass. (My friends are very envious!)

In another boat, my anchor saved me from being blown onto some rocks when the engine failed me in some heavy air and chop--a huge <i>"Phew"</i> moment! Now I <i>believe</i> in good ground tackle.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Davy J
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
1511 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  08:12:34  Show Profile
I'll cast my vote for Fortress.

Fortress FX-11 on roller of my power boat:

Guardian anchor made by Fortress on roller of C25:

The Guardian anchor is slightly smaller than the FX-11. Since it is on a roller I do not have to worry about it fitting in the locker.

With about 25' of chain, neither anchor has failed to hold in all sorts of conditions. However, the west coast of Florida is primarily sand.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  08:55:39  Show Profile
I believe it is all about the conditions where the anchor will be used. My post was about what anchor to use on our lake which is 20' deep at the deepest and has a smooth mud bottom throughout. It is a reservoir. For cruising in the San Juans we have a 16lb Bruce (very popular anchor for that venue), 25 feet of chain and 300 feet of rode. That is overkill for Fern Ridge Lake and I don't want to be pulling all that stuff up when we anchor for a hour to cook dinner on the lake. It makes my back hurt. I'm thinking a light Fortress with 10' of chain will do this job just fine.

Thanks for all the advice. Nothing gets a forum going like an anchor discussion.

Edited by - Nautiduck on 02/12/2011 09:12:15
Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  14:05:17  Show Profile
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Nautiduck</i>
<br />...My post was about what anchor to use on our lake which is 20' deep at the deepest and has a smooth mud bottom throughout. It is a reservoir...and I don't want to be pulling all that stuff up when we <b>anchor for a hour to cook dinner on the lake</b>...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">An iron frying pan on 50' of clothes line will probably do.

Edited by - Stinkpotter on 02/12/2011 14:06:14
Go to Top of Page

Nautiduck
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3704 Posts

Response Posted - 02/12/2011 :  14:20:32  Show Profile
But Dave, it's the Eugene <i>Yacht</i> Club. Having a frying pan on the anchor roller simply will not do.

Edited by - on
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page