Catalina - Capri - 25s International Assocaition Logo(2006)  
Assn Members Area · Join
Association Forum
Association Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Forum Users | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Catalina/Capri 25/250 Sailor's Forums
 Catalina 250 Specific Forum
 New Jib = 110, 135, or 150?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kjk
1st Mate

Members Avatar

USA
91 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2017 :  18:27:21  Show Profile
Unless the jib is the consistency of wet kleenex, why not use the current sail and see how you like it in your wind conditions and then make a decision? I originally thought the 110 was too small, but my sailmaker assured me that I would make hull speed without difficulty. Less reefing is better on the marriage...

Kevin J. Kiely
Rockport, MA
1999WK
Hull # 407
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2017 :  18:54:32  Show Profile
quote:

I don't know whether the FF2 uses a different foil or car/ferrule, but it might be worth a call to CDI to see whether they could sell you the needed parts (drum, cup, etc.) to covert to FF4.

Or just make it easy and get another 110.

Yes... I had thought about that too - and checked the CDI webpage. Apparently the ferrules are different sizes from FF2 to FF4.

Catalina 250 - Pretty Good Boat
Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2017 :  18:57:25  Show Profile
quote:

Put me down on the side of a 110 or 130. I think either would be workable. I wouldn't buy a cruising chute without hearing persuasive comments from someone who has actually used one on a C250.

All noted... another 110 vote... All good.

Carl

Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2017 :  19:02:06  Show Profile
quote:

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=25145&SearchTerms=Spinnaker

Thought I recalled some info that was posted. Looks like both Paul and Henk had some success with spinnakers. Ian also posted some experiences.

Yes, I had previously read those threads... An assymtrical spinnaker is in my budget - looking forward to it...

Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2017 :  19:10:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kjk

Unless the jib is the consistency of wet kleenex, why not use the current sail and see how you like it in your wind conditions and then make a decision? I originally thought the 110 was too small, but my sailmaker assured me that I would make hull speed without difficulty. Less reefing is better on the marriage...

I could do that... would prefer to sail with a fresh jib but your perspective has merit.

The 110 that came with the boat is really rough (dacron sunshield torn and threads dilapidated in several places) but it would hold wind for a few more months to test your theory.

Its easy enough to slide that old sail on there and give it a test drive.

Appreciate the thought.

Carl

Go to Top of Page

Stinkpotter
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

Djibouti
9013 Posts

Response Posted - 01/02/2017 :  20:48:56  Show Profile
Ya, the sun-strip is immaterial on a sail you know you're not keeping.

Dave Bristle
Association "Port Captain" for Mystic/Stonington CT
PO of 1985 C-25 SR/FK #5032 Passage, USCG "sixpack" (expired),
Now on Eastern 27 $+!nkp*+ Sarge
Go to Top of Page

islander
Master Marine Consultant

Members Avatar

USA
3992 Posts

Response Posted - 01/03/2017 :  06:05:52  Show Profile
I agree with Dave, Use the 110 and then make a decision on the new sail. the UV cover can be trimmed if it's loose and torn up. It would take months for the sun to do any damage to it anyway. I re-sewed all the seams on one of my sails on a home machine and thread from SailRite. It came out nice and was actually fun to do.

Scott-"IMPULSE"87'C25/SR/WK/Din.#5688
Sailing out of Glen Cove,L.I Sound

Go to Top of Page

Carl in LA
Captain

Members Avatar

USA
284 Posts

Response Posted - 01/16/2017 :  22:14:13  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by islander

I agree with Dave, Use the 110 and then make a decision on the new sail. the UV cover can be trimmed if it's loose and torn up. It would take months for the sun to do any damage to it anyway. I re-sewed all the seams on one of my sails on a home machine and thread from SailRite. It came out nice and was actually fun to do.

DONE...

When I spoke to Harry "O" of H2O Sails - my local loft - he said 110 no doubt. That place really gets an afternoon breeze and as such - no question - 110.

Then Harry took a look at the old jib and exposed that the material flaking away was actually the old sacraficial cover - and simply adding a new cover would add years to the life of the old sail - so that is what I did... reuse the old 110 with a new "navy" Sunbrella cover! Cool!

Sorry for the large pic - will fix soon...

Thanks to all...

Carl

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Association Forum © since 1999 Catalina Capri 25s International Association Go To Top Of Page